family

family

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad!!!

Today would be my Dad's 66th birthday. Five years ago he was at home with my mom and my Aunt Sharon his sister celebrating his 61st birthday. My mom and my Aunt were desperately trying to get him to go to the hospital. He had been battling Pancreatic Cancer for 2 years and they could tell that something was night right. My dad in true John Pickens fashion stood up and yelled at them "I am NOT going to the hospital, I feel FINE in fact I feel GREAT!!!!" Then he collapsed and never woke up again.

The following week was spent in the hospital on a breathing machine. It was one of the worst weeks of my life but also one of the best. We were surrounded by every family member and friend from near and far who came to comfort us and be there for my dad on his final journey of this life. So many people came that the hospital had to give us a conference room for people to stay in as no more than four visitors at a time were allowed in the room. My mom and I sat in the room with dad while people rotated in telling us story after story about my dad.

His passing was the first time as an adult that I really realized that my dad had a life outside of me. He had a whole community of people that I didn't even know and had never met that loved him. I had a very hard time with my dad's passing especially that I had not been there for his final birthday and I didn't get a final moment to say good bye. I had an amazing therapist who helped me however through this difficult time who told me to focus on my dad's legacy and the thing he would want people to remember about him. For my dad it was laughter. The stories people told us about my dad were ALWAYS funny. He lived to make people laugh, the kids he taught, the people he worked with and those who were his friends.

Therefore in order to honor my dad this week that he was in the hospital I am going to relay one of his funny stories every day until the anniversary of his death. I hope they make you laugh as they did me during that week. As Dolly Parton said in Steel Magnolias "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion". It definitely held true that week of my life.

Happy Birthday Daddy - you live on through our kids who know and hear all about you. Sofie says when you are done being dead you can come visit her - sounds great right?

Love you,

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment